Here’s a great reason to eat a high protein breakfast: having a high protein breakfast will help you get your protein needs evenly distributed through the day
While most people do manage to eat something in the morning, there are still about people who routinely skip breakfast. Not surprisingly, the numbers are highest among teens and young adults. Many of them say they simply don’t have time to eat breakfast in the morning. But even for those who do eat breakfast, it’s hardly protein-packed. The top three breakfast foods are cereal, toast and bananas.
Even though breakfast is often called “the most important meal of the day”—and a healthy habit that has been linked to a reduced risk of weight gain—much of the benefit may depend on what that meal actually consists of.
A recent study* showed that those who ate a higher protein breakfast has more stable blood sugar levels throughout the day, and the that breakfast helped them feel more full during the day. In fact, those who ate a high protein breakfast every morning ended up eating less food over the course of the day. This was about 400 calories less than their usual intake, resulting in them losing body fat.
The key to eating 35 grams of protein within a 350-calorie limit is to choose high-quality proteins. These include eggs and egg whites, nonfat and low-fat dairy products (milk, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt) and lean meats, as well as protein powders that can be added to shakes or stirred into scrambled eggs for a protein boost.
High protein breakfast ideas with less than 350 calories
- Protein shake with protein powder and 1 cup (240mL) low-fat milk, ½ cup vanilla Greek-style yogurt and fruit. (36g protein, 280 calories)
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese topped with 1 diced hard-boiled egg and chopped mixed vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, cucumber), sprinkled with salt and pepper. (34g protein, 265 calories)
- 5 ounces (150g) canned salmon mixed with a dab of mustard. Spread on 5 wholegrain crackers and top with sliced tomato. (33g protein, 300 calories)
- 1 slice 100% whole grain toast topped with 4 ounces (120g) sliced turkey breast and ¼ sliced avocado. (37g protein, 320 calories)
- OR,Start every day with good nutrition, if time is an issue have the fastest fast food in the world, make a shake, look at the wonderful flavours and start your day with a healthy shake. Available from the supermarket of the gift of health nutrition:
*1 Bauer LB et al. Int J Obesity. June 1, 2015.